My organization skills have done me well and while I like to think I am still neat and organized, most of it has gone out the window. I think it has something to do with having children.
About a month ago I had to slowly open the linen closet door, one hand on the door trying keep it from flying open under the pressure if its contents and one hand clutching a towel ready to shove a it in there. This was actually a challenge because I had to get the towel in there by opening the door only so far as to not let all the contents of the closet come spilling out. It was at that moment I said, out loud, When did I become a shover? I realized I had succumbed to shoving almost everything anywhere it might fit. Extra pens? Shoved into whichever draw is nearest. Clothes the children have outgrown? Shoved into a paper bag until another day. Toys? Shoved into any bin I can find. So maybe motherhood has created me to be a shover.
My friends will be happy to hear my bed is always a mess – it doesn’t get made unless it is clean sheet day; I definitely do not vacuum to make nice neat lines; my closet is a MESS with no rhyme or reason to its contents; and obviously my linen closet is not orderly. So is my obsession over? I doubt it, but luckily for me it is on hiatus for the next 18 years.
1 comment:
Julie, I couldn’t help laugh when I saw the pictures of Ben’s artwork. Do you remember when you took a meat-tenderizer hammer and pounded the wall for your entire reach (standing on the bed) of your freshly painted room. It was so bad I could hardly believe it. Every single hole (and there were millions) had to be filled before it could get painted again. What made it so funny, and probably saved you, was that it must have taken you so much time and was so much work. I also remember lots of crayon marks on the wall in the hall upstairs. Ajax took that off for the most part. I think this is all part of kids, and you are right – there is no time to organize anything. Love, Mom
Post a Comment