Sunday, February 8, 2009

Frugal February Update

It is February 8th and Frugal February is well under way. In just 8 days we have already failed compared to last year. Last year we (I mean I) went the whole month without spending any money (Mike spent $7 on fast food). I know for sure we are not playing FF as tightly as last year. For example, we made the exception that spending money on outdoor activities would be allowed (we have gone skiing at Como Hill -- cheap-- and ice skating at the community rink). And, well, we have made a couple other exceptions. I would have to call them accidents, though.

I am addicted to fountain pop. Specifically caffeine free diet coke from SA. SA has a reward system where if I buy 6 fountain sodas I get a coupon for one free and the coupon is good for several months. Just as I did last year, I have been saving these coupons to use in February. So on Friday I went into SA, filled a cup with delightful crushed ice and bubbling CF diet coke. I headed to the register to have Wayne (we are on a first-name-basis)tell me the coupon I handed him had expired. "Expired?" I exclaimed, "But I got it in December." Wayne politely tells me the reward coupons now expire after 30 days. OH CRAP. There goes all the coupons I had been stock-piling. So rather than completely embarrass myself and tell Wayne I can't buy the pop because it is FF, I chose the less embarrassing route and sulked to my car and easily found $1.09 in the change tray. Pissed that I had to spend money. But it's not my fault! I was a victim (insert foghorn here*)... A victim of SA's unannounced rule change.

The next accident happened when Mike took Ben and Maggie to the Science Museum. We have a family membership so we were feeling proud that we were actually using one of our few memberships. What we forgot (or failed to verbally acknowledge prior to heading out the door to the museum)was parking would cost money. Luckily members get discounted parking and Mike was on the hook for only $5.00 of the what could have been $12 fee.

Lastly, I had to shell out $1.10 for 25 plastic spoons for Ben's class vegetable soup day (I got the notice on Feb 6). I suppose I could have sent him to school with 25 of my flatware spoons, but let's get real... Ben would get beat up for being a pansy or at least coming from a family of nut-jobs and I would have lost 17 pieces of flatware.

Accidental expenditures: $7.19

*You would have to listen to Garage Logic to get this joke. "Victim" is a ridiculous word completely abused by society.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

LOL... Love the update!!!

First: I would have paid to hear you tell Wayne that it was FF and leave the pop. As a matter of fact for that I would have bought all your coupons.

Second: Since your keeping such an excellent tally of the out-of-bounds FF expenses consider applying a reverse rollover minute principle to keep you honest. What ever you rack up during FF ($7 and change currently) you have to deduct from the March discretionary budget.

And last, but certainly not least: If anyone can do FF justice it is you, an maybe Mary. It is a short list.

Ring me if you need some sock-rags.