Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The teachings of a five year old

I take pride in mostly being on time and not often feeling rushed (thank you for this trait, Mom). This is an especially nice feeling in the morning getting Maggie ready for the day and Ben for school. I rarely feel rushed, or have to raise my voice to get them going. The other morning I was feeling pressed for time, so I was getting nervous and rushing Ben out the door to get into the car while I stayed behind to get Maggie ready. As I was scooting him out the door I firmly said, Please go right to the car and get buckled in. So 2.5 minutes later when I came outside I was a little miffed to see him still standing on the steps inches from the door I had just scooted him out. I said, “Why aren’t you in the car?” He so softly said, “Mom, I am listening to the birds chirping… shhhh… listen.” No matter how late it was going to make us, stopping to listen to the birds was exactly what we all needed that morning and it is exactly what we did… stopped for a moment to listen to the birds chirping.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

This is so sweet. I love when they make us stop and listen for a second.