Thursday, November 30, 2006

Could I see your ID please?

I had a great birthday! Mike let me sleep in, he made coffee, the kids made me a card and I felt special all day!

Mike and I went to dinner-- no kids-- which is a VERY special treat. Our first stop was Granite City Brewery. There was a wait for tables so we headed to the bar. We both ordered drinks and were both carded. (Not a big compliment since they seem to card everyone these days. ) While I dug through my very messy purse, Mike got his drink. The bartender said he could not give me my drink until I produced an ID. I said laughing, "It's my 35th birthday... See my crow's feet, I am clearly over 21." He said, "Sorry. I can't serve you without ID." My ID is not in my purse. I have no idea where it is. No ID = no service of alcohol. I even asked the manager if he could approve the bartender to serve me. The manager said, "No. It is a law that if you are asked for ID and cannot show one that you cannot get served -- no matter how old you are." And the manager said the waitress will ask for ID too. Ok, so that is the law and the restaurant has a job to do, so what can I say? I did say to Mike I wanted to have a drink on my birthday, so on to the next place. We ended up at another nearby restaurant and had GREAT service and a great dinner.

So, if you venture out and want anything to do with alcohol, don't forget your ID.

No comments: